About Cantilever Rack
Used Cantilever Racks systems consist of vertical columns bolted to a horizontal base. Cantilever arms are attached to the upright and are available in either straight or inclined. The straight arms store flat products such as lumber. The inclined arms are best used to store products on rolls. Brace sets provide stability. Available in two types; roll formed and structural steel.
Used Structural Cantilever racks are made from hot steel. The hot steel is rolled to form I-beams and C channels. Structural Cantilever rack is more expensive than cold rolled but can handle forklift abuse. Frames can usually be repaired instead of replaced.
Cold rolled cantilever rack begins as a piece of flat steel. It is processed through a machine that forms the steel into the desired form. This type of rack uses less steel which reduces the cost. The lightweight and easy installation make this an ideal type of rack for applications that need to stack to the ceiling.
Assisting customers in designing used cantilever rack systems is a specialty at American Surplus. Tell us the dimensions of the product to be stored (length, depth, height, and weight), and we'll design and install a used cantilever rack system for your warehouse. Call us at 800-876-3736.
Manufacturers we distribute are listed below:
- Cogan cantilever rack
- Dexco cantilever rack
- Interlake cantilever rack
- Home Depot cantilever rack
- Meco cantilever rack
- Ridg-u-Rak cantilever rack
- Structural Cantilever rack
- Steel King cantilever rack
What some people call used cantilever rack, others may call:
- Industrial cantilever racks
- Lumber storage racks
- Home Depot style racks
- Cantilever shelving
- Cantilever pipe racking
- Cantilever rack systems
- Commercial lumber storage rack
Cantilever racks and lumber racks are a style of racking that has beams that only anchor on one end, and are commonly found in lumber yards or plumbing supply warehouses where items being stored are long and bulky unlike used pallet racking. It consists of uprights, bases, arms, and bracing. The uprights are held up by the base, and arms extend out of the vertical columns to act as shelves. The bracing adds stability to the racking by holding the uprights together
There are two common styles of used lumber racks and cantilever racks, single and double sided. Double sided allows for storage on both sides, but also requires clearance on both sides of the racking. Single sided used cantilever rack can be positioned against a wall to save valuable floor space, but will not allow for as much storage as double sided. Determining which type is right for you depends on what you are trying to store and how much of it.
There are many options when choosing used cantilever rack. When deciding on arms, which are the actual storage levels or shelves, it is important to determine how much weight you will be putting on each, and what kind of material is being stored. There are two main styles of arms, straight and inclined. If materials have the ability to roll, like pipes, rolled carpet, and logs, than the inclined arm is preferred because it is set at a pitch to prevent products from falling. Otherwise for materials with a flat bottom or that can’t roll, straight arm is preferred. Used cantilever arm’s capacity is based off of its length and the metal gauge that was used. The longer the arm, the less weight it can hold because it is that much farther from the upright.
Uprights are sold in different heights with varying shelving weight capacities, so taking careful weight and size measurements of what you are going to store is crucial. Once you know how many arms are to be included on each upright, and the weight capacity of each of those arms, you can multiply these two numbers together to get the weight capacity needed for the uprights.
Brace sets provide additional structure to the uprights, and the number of these needed depends on the number of arms, the height, the capacity of the arms and the uprights, and the length of the storage items. Braces are not intended to be load bearing, and only stabilizes the rack horizontally.
Why buy used cantilever rack? There are clearly many factors to consider when purchasing used cantilever rack. These options and considerations can be overwhelming, but ASI will work with you to design the racking system that is right for you. Our sales staff will get to know you and your specific material handling needs before recommending a certain configuration.
Used Cantilever Rack Frequently Asked Questions:
What are Cantilever Racks?
- Cantilever Rack is a storage rack system that is designed to store long, bulk material such as lumber, piping, and other material. Upright columns connect to a base, and there are arms along the upright to make up the levels of the racking system. X-bracing between uprights sets the width of each section of cantilever rack and adds stability. They are open in the front to provide easy loading and unloading.
What are Cantilever Uprights?
- Cantilever Uprights are the vertical columns, made of I-beam structural steel, that support the arms of the system. These uprights can be used as single sided, or double sided.
What are Cantilever Arms?
- Cantilever Arms are the horizontal beams that support the material being stored.
Should I buy rolled form cantilever rack or structural cantilever rack?
- This depends on the weight capacity you need for storing your materials. For lightweight applications you will be able to purchase rolled form, and more heavy duty applications will require a structural steel solution.
Can I put Cantilever Rack outside?
- Yes, provided you have a solid, flat, concrete ground (that is rated to support the weight of the rack and materials you are storing) to secure your cantilever rack to.
How hard is it to install Cantilever Rack?
- Cantilever rack is installed by following a few simple steps. Bracing will be installed between the uprights for stability, twelve foot uprights require a single x-brace between uprights, while sixteen footers require one x-brace, along with one horizontal brace. The cantilever rack uprights and bases must then be anchored to the floor. The final step is to attach the arms to the columns to create your levels. It is important to determine your load & capacity requirements prior to installation to make sure you have the correct spacing and design within your system.
Can American Surplus offer custom sized Cantilever Rack?
- Yes, our fabrication department can customize existing sizes to fit your application.
What types of products are stored in Cantilever Rack?
- Steel stock, aluminum sheets, plywood, lumber, pvc tubing, electrical pipe, furniture, automobiles, shafts & rods, drywall, moldings and more!
Does American Surplus provide cantilever rack installation services?
Can I get my cantilever rack painted a specific color?
- Yes, we can paint the components a specific color for an additional fee, just ask your salesperson for a quote!
Is American Surplus' Cantilever Rack made in the United States?
- They don't call us American Surplus for nothing!
How quickly can I get an order of Cantilever Rack?
- This depends on the size of your order and our current production schedule, your salesman will include an approximate lead time on your quote.
Is shipping included with my Cantilever Rack order?
- Our salesman will provide you with a shipping estimate, we typically ship orders freight collect, using our discounted rates. You can provide your own carrier or pick up your order at our warehouse as well.
How can I pay for a Cantilever Rack purchase?
- You can pay for your order in a couple ways, check on delivery or check in advance. We accept check, cash, wire transfer, or credit card.
Can I return a Cantilever Rack purchase if I am not satisfied?