April 13, 2021
A conveyor system can be one of the most key parts when considering the layout of a warehouse. The main role of a conveyor system is to move objects, inventory, or heavy bulky products from one location to another. Conveyor systems are used in many different industries such as pharmaceutical, automotive, food processing, shipping, packaging, bottling, and canning.
At American Surplus Inc., our knowledgeable sales team will walk you through everything from the quote to installation. That said, we know that shopping for a conveyor system can be overwhelming. To help simplify it, here is a glossary of different types of conveyors. If you still have questions once you review this list, give us a call at (800) 876-3736.
- Is a system that transport products from one location of a facility to another location.
- Is part of a conveyor system that moves materials from one place to another.
- A gravity conveyor is a powerless free flowing conveyor system that relies on gravity to transport inventory items from location to location throughout your warehouse or facility.
Gravity Roller Conveyor
- A gravity roller conveyors allow for the transportation of products without a flat bottom and can also move loads either horizontally or at a decline.
Skatewheel Gravity Conveyor
- A power conveyor uses motors to move materials along the line, they can transport products up inclines, as well as on level ground and declines.
Belt Driven Conveyor
- Consist of two or more pulleys that transport materials as the motor rotates the drums around.
Lineshaft Conveyor or Line-Shaft Conveyor
- A single shaft runs below the rollers running the length of the conveyor transporting materials in a warehouse or storage facility.
Chain Driven Live Roller Conveyor
- Use an endless chain both to transmit power and to propel material through a trough, either pushed directly by the chain or by attachments to the chain. The chain runs over sprockets at either end of the trough.
Trash Conveying System or Overhead Conveyor
- Are slider bed system that utilizes guardrails to generate a “trough” on the belt that contains debris.
Slider Bed Conveyor
- Are conveyors that do not necessarily have the belt supported by rollers but instead the belt “slides” along a solid surface. This surface can be either steel or a specialty material.
- Are constructed to protect vulnerable surfaces in tight aisles and high traffic areas. They are often installed as a safeguard for the end of rack aisles, in-plant offices, and exposed equipment.
Looking for more information about conveyor systems and the different types of conveyors? Click here to take a look at our CONVEYOR ACCESSORY GUIDE.
Let ASI Handle Your Conveyor Installation
At American Surplus, we do more than just sell you a used conveyor. We also take care of the installation process so you do not have to risk doing it yourself. Save time and money by calling ASI today! We will ensure your used conveyor systems are assembled in a safe and timely manner.Learn More
Conveyor is a vital part of any high traffic warehouse facility. It can dramatically increase your picking and storing efficiency, which can save you time and money in the long run. There are two main distinctions of conveyors: power and gravity. Both types of conveyor systems contain many different styles, each with a specific purpose suited to your unique material handling needs.
Conveyor Accessory Guide
From electrical controls and barcode scanners to diverters and guard rails, check out ASI's conveyor accessory glossary to brush up on your vocabulary!Learn More
About Gravity Conveyor
Gravity conveyor is much less expensive to purchase than power conveyor, and is also easier to maintain. As a result, gravity conveyor is an excellent choice if you are looking to upgrade your material handling operation without spending a lot of money. However, it is important to consider where your conveyor will be located in your facility, and how it will be utilized in your material handling operation. Due to the powerless nature of gravity conveyor, it might not be the right fit for you.
Gravity conveyor, as the name implies, relies on gravity to transport inventory items from location to location throughout your facility. Because they are gravity-powered, they can only operate on a decline or a level surface. Gravity conveyor is ideal for manual sortation, as workers have access to products on the conveyor line. This type of used conveyor comes in many different styles, including skate wheel, roller, and flexible. Each of these types of used gravity conveyor are designed to be able to handle different products and maneuver in different ways.
About Power Conveyor
Power conveyors are more expensive than gravity conveyors, but for good reason. Because power conveyors use motors to move materials along the line, they can transport products up inclines, as well as on level ground and declines. There are various types of power conveyors such as belt conveyors, belt over roller conveyors, and lineshaft conveyor.
Power conveyors are a great way to increase the efficiency of your operation. In addition to transporting materials throughout your warehouse, some conveyors such as sortation conveyors can automatically sort products as they move down the line based on their weight.
As you can see, there are many different ways to utilize the various types of conveyor in your warehouse facility. The amount of options you have may seem overwhelming, but ASI has over 30 years of experience providing material handling solutions for our clients. Our sales team will work with you to determine the proper types of conveyor system for your facility. We buy quality used conveyor systems that have been tested, cleaned, and inspected. Our sales team then figures out exactly what problems you are having to decide which type of conveyor is right for you. Contact ASI today.
We carry conveyors from most major manufacturers including:
- Rapistan Conveyor
- Omni Conveyor
- Matthews Conveyor
- TWG Conveyor
- Roach Conveyor
- Alvey Conveyor
- Metzgar Conveyor
- Bestflex Conveyor
- Bushman Conveyor
- Hytrol Conveyor
- Ermanco Conveyor
Used Conveyor Frequently Asked Questions
Q:What type of conveyor does ASI sell and service?
A:There are several types of gravity and power conveyor sold by ASI.
Q:What is done to ensure me that the used conveyor will function satisfactorily?
A:ASI has been selling for over 30 years with hundreds of satisfied installations. Our conveyor technicians inspect and check all systems prior to shipment.
Q:Can I purchase used conveyor to expand an existing conveyor line?
A:Yes, of course. Our extensive inventory of all styles and brands of conveyor is available at reduced prices.
Q:Can I return the conveyor purchase if I am not satisfied?
A:Yes, please click here to view our terms and conditions.